+ Reply to Thread

Red face Help a Woman! Did I short my Kitchen light switch?

Hi all, I'm a single woman living in an apartment and have little experience with electrical compoments, which honestly frighten me. I was in my kitchen cooking this evening and went to turn on my overhead lighting as the sun was going down. Anyway, I'm short and can barely reach over the counter to the light switch, and since I had a spoon (metal) in my hand, I decided to use the end of it to flip the switch. What resulted was that I saw a tiny spark at the switch and the light failed to turn on. I flipped it up and down, this time with my hand, and it would not turn on. I let time pass and about an hour later decided to try to turn it on again, as I was scared that it may be something serious, and all of a sudden the light came on. I'm extremely scared as to why it didn't turn on at the first point, can someone please give me an idea? as I would like to sleep easy tonight. Just for your information, the switch has a metal plate (like a brushed nickel), it's a fairly old apartment, and the location of the switch appears to have been placed by a prior tenant or the landlord. Can someone please help?

Default Re: Help a Woman! Did I short my Kitchen light switch?

Using a metal spoon should have had no effect different than using your finger to operate the switch. It sounds like you have either a failing switch or more likely a loose wire on the switch. Perhaps a wire in a stab connector rather than on the screws of the switch.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Help a Woman! Did I short my Kitchen light switch?

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Using a metal spoon should have had no effect different than using your finger to operate the switch. It sounds like you have either a failing switch or more likely a loose wire on the switch. Perhaps a wire in a stab connector rather than on the screws of the switch.
    Jack
    My thoughts as well..

Wink Re: Help a Woman! Did I short my Kitchen light switch?

I agree with all previous posts. A lot of times, especially with older switches, you will get a little pop inside the switch itself when the connection between internal posts is made. My advice would be to turn off power and replace the switch. As was said earlier, switches are extremely easy to replace.