+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Height for TV

Default Height for TV

Hello

I am going to be installing either an LCD or Plasma in my basement playroom and was wondering what is the correct height to install off of the floor. When framing the stud walls I'd like to frame in enough strength to hold the TV. Thanks!

Anthony

Default Re: Height for TV

I don't think there is really any hard and fast rules about the height of a TV it mostly depends on personal preference. Some people hang them over a fireplace but most are closer to the floor. like the bottom of my TV to be about 30" - 36" off the floor so I don't have to look up to view. However depending on whether your kids may need to be kept from touching it you may want to mount it higher. Your best bet would be to go to a good electronics store. They often have a media room set up and you may be able to get an idea about what is comfortable for you. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

Cool Re: Height for TV

Aloha Anthony,
    Where you mount the flat panel TV is subjective. I recommend deciding the best wall by thinking of the TV as a large picture frame. What wall would be the best choice for you? For me, it would have to be a wall at least twice the width of the television because I would want to have room to hang speakers or art to augment my centerpiece.

How you mount the television is also very important. I recommend mounting the television consistent to the height at which you will watch from. Two schools of thought: If you watch TV while sitting on the couch, then the flat panel should be mounted at eye level to the center of the screen from your height sitting straight on the couch. However, this could make the TV seem low when standing next to it so if you were to adjust the television in direction vertically, then adjust up so the bottom of the screen is eye level while sitting and the top is eye level when standing.

I hope this helps
    Brian

I agree with the other posters about it all being subjective.

I would look into entertainment units that would fit the screen you're looking to buy. Measure the height of the base then add half the height of the screen. An average height of those and televisions with bases is going to really help you determine where to install bracing.

On the other hand with children you want to make sure you have the easily scratched screen well out of reach. At 4 my youngest is still having trouble grasping the idea that the television is not a vertical surface to be played on and it is not a canvas to color or paint either. lol, but we have a 10 year old rear projection big screen so the "screen" is a little tougher than my LCD screens on the computers.

Have fun shopping.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Smile Re: Height for TV

Dear All

Thanks for all of the information. Everything is quite helpful. Have a great day!

Anthony

We went from a 26" set on a stand about 28" high to a 46" LCD on the wall about 48" off the floor. It took a little getting used to but it seems ok now.

I think it would be a little more comfortable if it was lower, but there are the aesthetics of the room to consider too. We sit in recliners so we lean them back a little, with a couch or fixed back chair, this could be a bigger problem having to look up all the time.

Make sure you check the viewing angle recommended for the TV you get. With LCD the last time I checked it was about 15 degrees up and down. In other words if you are looking at it from an angle of more than 15 degrees below or above, the pictures starts to degrade visually.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Cool Re: Height for TV

Aloha,
    Is it posible to change the mount that you currenly have installed. If so, check out this website. It has a mount that can ajust, not only the front to back, but also the tilt on the screen. This may help the issue with viewing: http://store.videomountstore.com/wityunplmouc.html

Thanks,
    Brian

just like jlm said.... 15 degree viewing angle is best from about 10-15' away from tv is best.

Thanks for the information.everything is useful!!!! And I appreciate the piece you did on the linkstar.co.uk guys cos I wasn't sure but it ended up going okay so yeah it means a lot to me.
    Last edited by MitchellCooke; 11-03-2008 at 12:09 AM.