+ Reply to Thread

Default Exposed nail in hardwood floor

Hello - I have a 100-year old house with lovely floors. They squeak but it's not a bother. There is one board in the hallway in a high-traffic spot that keeps causing trouble, though. It has one nail that keeps popping up even after I hammer it back down. I've got a lot of holes in my socks as a result! Can I remove the nail altogether, put in additional nails, is this a sign of a bigger problem... Or do I just need to nail it down every couple of weeks and stop complaining?! Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Exposed nail in hardwood floor

It's likely that nail hole is worn larger than the nail itself so it will continue to work loose . The other thing is that nail may not be into a joist but rather into the sub floor boards (if they exist). Try removing that nail and drive a new one a 1/2 inch lower on the same line.

Hope this helps.

As stated above or it may be the wrong type of nail that someone else nailed in to stop a sqeek. Pull the nail out, it certainly isn't doing any thing for the floor.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Use a nail puller like this absolutely brand new design! It's called the nail jack, the first tool ever to dig and grab nails staples and brads. Very patented and patent pending, it is just coming to the market.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiffnailjack 083.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	595  

It's amazing that there is not a hand held plier-like device to remove fasteners quickly, efficiently and effectively after one hundred years! Until now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiffnailjack 068.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	596  

"It's amazing that there is not a hand held plier-like device to remove fasteners quickly, efficiently and effectively after one hundred years! Until now..."

I think versions of this tool that work well for nails have been around for quite a while..

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,852.htm
    Last edited by bp21901; 01-28-2008 at 10:32 AM.

A fence tool has been around for over 100 years, but it simply does NOT dig and pull nails. I must say, it's the closest I saw when I invented mine, but there's really not a close relationship at all between the two. Watch the video on youtube for the way the Nail Jack works and you'll agree.

Quote Originally Posted by axxman View Post
    A fence tool has been around for over 100 years, but it simply does NOT dig and pull nails. I must say, it's the closest I saw when I invented mine, but there's really not a close relationship at all between the two. Watch the video on youtube for the way the Nail Jack works and you'll agree.
    Axxman,
    I usually don't pay much attention to shameless free advertising like this but as a frequent user of recycled lumber i have to saw it looks like a well thought out tool. When and where is it coming to market?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Apologies to you and everyone here for that shameless plug. If I weren't some lone guy in Idaho spending my life savings trying to bring a relevant, important and extremely effective tool to the market all by myself, I assure you I would never besmirch these threads with my own agenda. I feel like I am just an everyman that wants a very simple tool that works, and I do NOT throw lumber away unless it is completely split, or thrashed. We are entering a difficult economy and people will really start to conserve, and the Nail Jack is a tool that offers a way to quickly reuse lumber. It will hit the market in about 90 days in at least two different sizes, an 11 inch and an 8.5 inch version. I just thought that you guys would love to hear about a tiny piece of American ingenuity, in a country that's outsourced everything for so long. We're coming back to our roots here, and that's always good!

After all, I'm just a "tool guy", like all of you!