+ Reply to Thread

Default Igloo in the master bedroom

Hello All,

My wife and I own a typical 2-story 2000 sf house with standard heating/air conditioning. The problem is in the tray-ceilinged master bedroom above the garage facing the north. It is always 6-8 degress higher or lower than the rest of the house. Figuring that it was the unheated space in the garage below, I ripped out the ceiling and took out the R-13 that was just laying on top of the sheetrock and put this layer stapled to the underside of the 2nd floor with chicken wire to hold it against the floor. I proceeded to put in one more layer of R-13 and another of R-30 (all noncompressed) and buttoned it up with either 5/8 or 1/2 sheetrock, taped, floated, yadda, yadda, yadda. The garage remains about in the mid 40's here in Kansas. We also replaced the only windows in the bedroom with Anderson replacements, double pane, gas filled-----one picture, one half round and two casement flankers. I thought I would be king for a day, but it has really not made any difference. Do I head to the attic, or add a drop ceiling in the garage (I have the room as it is a 9 foot ceiling)for some rigid insulation. As I sidenote, the house was built in 1992, but does not have soffit vents whick I thought was peculiar? Any comments would be appreciated.

Default Re: Igloo in the master bedroom

Because the problem is both heating and air conditioning, I suspect you don't have a cold air return in the bedroom, the ducts are undersized, or the ductwork is not properly balanced.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

dido with JL. Remember heat rises so in the summer the garage deal will help a lot but if the heat is leaving your room then you need to check the attic and or HVAC supply.

Are your doors under cut at least an inch to allow air to return when the door is closed?

If you leave your door open and close the other rooms does it help?

Do you notice when the door is ajar, it gets slammed shut when the unit turns on?

Go in the attic and check the duct work to your bedroom ,the take offs (flex duct)- should have damper handels sticking out of the duct connection at the main trunk. See if the handels ,if any,
    are pointing in line with the duct. You can close some of the other runs just a little to force more air to your bedroom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	176.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	572  

It sure wouldn't hurt to check the insulation in the attic .

Does it still feel cold along the lower portion of the room?

If the there are issues with the supply and return ducting that will have some affect ....... though if the room was well insulated and sealed from drafts you would be able to almost heat it with a single candle.

It does sound odd there are no soffit vents. Are there gable and rooftop vents instead?

No gable or roof vents, and the door to the garage, by the way, is a typical noninsulated garage door that I had rigid insulation panels made to fit in the sections (cheap fix). I plan on spending the $1200-$1500 for a fully insulated door to raise the temperature in the garage. Should I put this money into more insulation in the attic instead? Thanks.

absolutly ,you don't sleep in the garage

Attic would be first place to start. Also check to see if the walls are insulated. It might be worth it to get a thermal scan done.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb