+ Reply to Thread

Smile Sewer Venting Requirement

I am aware of the need to vent a sewer pipe but I have heard that there is a requirement to add additional vents if the pipe gets too long. I am using a 4 inch PVC for the sewer pipe and have a 3 inch vent pipe planned. The sewer pipe will travel about 35 - 40 feet before connecting to the existing septic line. I know that code requirements are local, but I am looking for a general need that will ensure proper drainage. I would appreciate your comments.

Default Re: Sewer Venting Requirement

Quote Originally Posted by dzai View Post
    I am aware of the need to vent a sewer pipe but I have heard that there is a requirement to add additional vents if the pipe gets too long. I am using a 4 inch PVC for the sewer pipe and have a 3 inch vent pipe planned. The sewer pipe will travel about 35 - 40 feet before connecting to the existing septic line. I know that code requirements are local, but I am looking for a general need that will ensure proper drainage. I would appreciate your comments.
    You probably all ready know this but you want each of your toilet/tub/shower/vanity/sink fixtures to have a vent stack very close to their traps (there are guidelines for vent sizes and distances based on pipe size and the horizontal run). Once you are past the last fixture headed to your tank I don't believe there is a need to have a vent on your soil pipe. I would recommend putting in a cleanout or two, though.

Default Re: Sewer Venting Requirement

Thanks for the suggestion on the clean out. I will implement your recommendation.