+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default exterior house paint

I've seen ads for exterior house paints and stains from Sears, Behr, Sherwin Williams and Moore that claim no need to prime or any other preparation and some that claim to last a lifetime - will blister, peel... Has anyone used any of these products?

Default Re: exterior house paint

Utican - A word to the wise: If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

OK, Would you care to elaborate? Utican means nothing to me and I went to the web and found nothing relating utican to exterior paint.

Ignore my last statement. I did not realize that Utican was a user. Sorry.

Sears Weatherbeater Ultra "Never paint again. Guaranteed.","no need to sand,wash,strip or treat previously painted surfaces". Behr Premium Plus Ultra, "Now you can prime and paint with a single brush stroke". Sherwin Williams Duration "Use Duration and you won't have to paint again. Ever." If memory serves me, Moore has similar claims...if I find that add, I'll post it.

Flood pioneered the idea and California paints also picked up on it. Prime with an oil and finish with a latex

You might try Consumer Reports. They test and rate quite a few brands of paint.

I know Consumer Reports is testing these kinds of paints. I got a tour of their paint lab during their annual open house, but they won't have results ready until probably fall. They test their paints for at least a year first before they release the results.

Unless the paint has little nano-robots that do the sanding and scraping and the paint goes on as thick as wallpaper paste, I won't give up my IR paint stripper and sander quite yet. I am in the middle of repainting my back porch which, because of incompetence from the previous owner, has peeling paint and alligatoring and is about 10 coats thick.
    Plus in some spots she "repainted" some peeling paint with joint compound. Joy oh joy. I have to get down to the bare wood to correct some of the moisture problems, get rid of the joint compound and bring back some of the detail work that was lost to the paint.

If it will give me good adhesion to bare wood, I might use it so I don't have to prime...

Thanks for your responses. I do believe if it sounds too good to be true...I'm just amazed at the claims. After hearing what you're dealing with Tomstapes, I should be thankful.

I presently work in paint sales at Home Depot. The new Behr Ultra line does not require a separate primer, but it DOES require the paint itself to be used as a primer on bare wood. I personally find the advertising to be somewhat misleading. It is however a very good product. It uses the new "nano" technology which forms a very durable, smooth surface which is naturally resistant to penetration by fungus and algae. The nano technology also gives very good adhesion to the substrate. Further, it is effective in blocking tannic acid bleed when going over cedar and redwood, provided 24 hours of curing is allowed before the finish coat.

This new product carries a several dollar premium per gallon over the previous top of the line product. If you are in your home for the long haul, it is definitely worth the extra few bucks. You might note, however, that all these manufacturers who claim such wonderful results, limit their guarantee to the price of the product, not the labor involved. As a former contractor, I can tell you that the materials cost was only several percent of the bid price!