+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wink Re: Cleaning the grunge from around light switches

If your devices are really that bad, it'd probably be just as easy to replace them. Generally, they are cheap unless you have Decora Rocker style. They are really easy to replace also, as long as your wiring is in good condition. Basically just remove device and replace wires to the matching terminals. If you have old devices and can't distinguish between terminal colors (mostly for 3-way switches), you may want to call an electrician or try cleaning. A new set of devices can really spruce up a room. I guess, to me, the thought of cleaning the little raised on or off word on a single pole switch with a toothpick seems like a headache waiting to happen.

Default Re: Cleaning the grunge from around light switches

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    I used to clean it out with a little alcohol every once in a while. now I use 409 and kentvw's tooth brush.

A dry toothbrush will knock the chunks off, a dab of surface cleaner like 409 or similar will make it sparkly clean. Avoid aerosol cleaners, you don't need or want to be shooting those things into switches and outlets. If you do want those types of solvents, then squirt them onto a paper towel or onto the toothbrush and work with them that way, don't spray them directly onto the device.

Spruce , there are some aerosol cleaners out there with a really high dielectric value . We're talking 15 kv or better .
    Any Electrical / Electronics supply house will carry them .

Just an option .

I understand that most of these electrical/electronic cleaners are a dielectric (non conductive to those unfamiliar with the term ), but do you really want to be driving surface grime down into a device with an aerosol, particularly when non-pressurized topical cleaners will suffice for most household situations?

Not trying to start an argument, just say'n ...

I hear you , brother . Depends on the situation . If it's strictly a cosmetic issue , go with the household cleaner .

Makes note to self:

4. Pick-up hasp and padlock to install on toothbrush drawer.