+ Reply to Thread

Question Need more air flow

We've moved into a 3000 sq. ft. new construction home. I'm disappointed in the heating system. The south side of the home is consistently 5 degrees colder than the rest of the home. The contractor installed a damper in one of the main trunks but it hasn't done anything to even out the temps or increase air flow to the cold rooms. I noticed that the colder rooms coincide with the unfinished parts of our downstairs. Two questions: 1) Can a blower be added to one of the trunk lines? 2) Will insulating the ceiling of the unfinished parts of our bottom floor help warm the rooms above?

Default Re: Need more air flow

[QUOTE=Pat Nyland;12307]We've moved into a 3000 sq. ft. new construction home. I'm disappointed in the heating system. The south side of the home is consistently 5 degrees colder than the rest of the home. The contractor installed a damper in one of the main trunks but it hasn't done anything to even out the temps or increase air flow to the cold rooms. I noticed that the colder rooms coincide with the unfinished parts of our downstairs. Two questions: 1) Can a blower be added to one of the trunk lines? 2) Will insulating the ceiling of the unfinished parts of our bottom floor help warm the rooms above?[/QUOTE]

sure it will. and if that doesn't totally correct it you can have your heating and air person come back and tell them you want the system balanced. they will put a flow meter on each vent and adjust them so that you have the same through out.

Default Re: Need more air flow

It's difficult to say what the issue may be.
    If the basement is unfinished but heated it's not likely to be the cause since warm air rises.

It may be from poor insulation or poor air seal in those rooms.

Could also be from poor ducting that may be leaky or undersized not proving enough volume of heated air to those rooms. Depending how far from the heating system theses rooms are from the heat source would affect the air flow if the ducting is not correct. Another consideration is the cold air return vents may be blocked by furniture or missing altogether.

The heating system should be checked for "balance" .... meaning that the appropriate cubic feet per minute (CFM) is being delivered to the rooms from the vents. Adding a booster fan should not be necessary to a new installation .. the appropriate amount of heated air is determined by the heating unit's blower and the proper sized ducting.

Hope this helps.