+ Reply to Thread

Thread: automatic door

Default automatic door

My door stops closing and I have to keep stop and starting it. There are times when it works great but more times it doesn't. Can anyone tell me how to fix this.
    thank
    Kathy

Default Re: automatic door

Several things can be happening.
    1. Binding track isn't allowing free movement of the door. Could also be a lubrication issue. Lubricate the hinge points and rollers, then disconnect the opener and open/close the door a few times by hand to see that it's moving freely. Investigate any places that might seem stiff or binding.
    2. The opener is out of adjustment. There are two adjustment screws on the opener that control "UP" pressure and "DOWN" pressure. Turn the "down" adjustment screw slightly to increase the pressure the opener will exert before stopping.
    3. Electronic eye's protect the opening from kids, cars, and other things that may be across the doorway and prevents the opener from closing the door on these obstructions. Make sure the eye's are clean and pointing directly at each other. Make certain the wiring connections are tight at both the eyes and the opener, and check the wire along the way for any damage.
    4. The counter balance springs may need adjustment. I would recommend contacting a door repair company to make this particular adjustment because handling these springs is extremely dangerous if one does not know what they're doing.
    Please report back your progress, we're always interested to know how things work out.

Another issue, I speak from experience, is the old pull cord on the door that comes down and blocks the electric eye. Some times it swings out of the way and sometimes it doesn't.

And an electric eye that is not solidly mounted.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I just helped a family relative with the same problem. The garage door kept getting stuck going down and would automatically reverse until eventually you hit the button enough times and the door would finally close all the way. It ended up being the "Down" pressure adjustment for the door, same as suggested by A.Spruce. Made the adjustment and haven't had any more problems. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. It is cold up here so for now we are going to adjust the down pressure button. Hope that solves it. will let you know the results.

Just wanted you to know that your advice to set the down timing on the garage door worked. We are thrilled now that we no longer have to keep pressing the remote anymore. You are the most valuable resource and much appreciated by us.

thank you so much.

You're welcome. Glad we could help.