+ Reply to Thread

Default Shower will not turn off

My shower has a single valve for both hot and cold. After the morning shower it works fine. After an evening shower the valve will not turn the water off. There appears to be pressur inside the valve that forces it on when you try to turn it off. If the water is turned off back at the cutoff valve for a half hour or so and then turned back on the shower valve works again. What is going on and what is the fix?

Default Re: Shower will not turn off

Are there any other symptoms, leaks, or quirks that accompany this problem?

It could be as simple as the retainer ring has loosened a bit so that there isn't enough friction to hold the valve in place. The cartridge seals may have rolled out of position. Or, it could be that the cartridge itself is defective.

I would turn off the water supply and remove the cartridge for inspection. Check inside the valve housing too for any sign of things that don't seem right. Reassemble and test again. If it's still a problem, replace the cartridge. To save time and hassles, you may want to just replace the cartridge at the get go.

no other symptoms.
    Not sure what you mean by cartridge. This is not a thermostatic valve. It is probably 20 years old and appears to be a sealed unit that is sweated to copper pipe.

That reference is to the components within the faucet itself ... typically they can be disassembled for repairs.

Disk, cartridge and ball faucets most often are mixing faucets with one handle. Holes or channels in the disk, cartridge or ball align with the water supply pipes and faucet to allow water to flow. Their alignment also determines the proportion of hot and cold water.

With the myriad of different brands and styles we can't tell from here what you have and the method of disaasembly.
    Last edited by canuk; 01-26-2008 at 11:24 AM.

What canuk said.

Single handled faucets are rebuildable and it's generally an easy task. Can you post a picture of the unit with and without the shower handle attached? Is there a brand name printed on the handle or faceplate?

Smile Re: Shower will not turn off

Had the same problem. It had something to do with the faucet component. Plus the water pressure in my area is quite strong.

I got my brother to fix it last week though.
    For quality water features for Outdoor Water Fountains and Garden Ponds check out Hidden Content

Can you ask him what he did?

could be you need an expansion tank on the hot water side of your water heater tank. during periods of non-use excess pressure due to heated water expansion might be backing up in your plumbing, making it more difficult to push the valve cartridge to off.

you might also want to check your incoming water pressure at your cold water main. you might be at or near maximum in the morning while the household or neighborhood if you're on city water is consuming water at a greater demand, but it might be excessive in the evening or night during lesser overall demand but when you are experiencing this difficulty.

if on private water supply your pressure tank might need an adjustment or repair.

Smile Re: Shower will not turn off

I shall ask him, ok I might also have to ask him to check-up my tank and plumbing. I hate it if the problem happens again. I like the post made by unregistered. I shall check if any of those is the real culprit behind the problem here.
    For quality water features for Outdoor Water Fountains and Garden Ponds check out Hidden Content

Ever since I have limited my daughter's use of steaming hot water-only showers the problem has stopped.