+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GFCI Protection

Question GFCI Protection

I know that in a residential application, an exterior outlet used for snow melting or de-icing equipment does not need to be GFCI protected if it is not readily accessible. Would this also pertain to a building such as a firehouse?

Default Re: GFCI Protection

Yes,

See 210.8 (B) Exception #1.

Just did that as a matter of fact. Bought Raychem Wetguard from Grainger. MAN-O-MAN is that stuff expensive!

Oh, BTW, I see you signed up at EKR........... right on........

You must remember that the exception in 210.8 is for ice melting equipment only and nothing else, and you must check local state and city codes that could over ride this exception

Though I'm not familiar with using this kind of equipment(not much use for it here in S.C.), I fail to see where NOT using GFCI, even if it's not code-required, would be anything but a small cost advantage. GFCI would certainly be a safety factor I'd want if it were a feasible option. Safety should always be the first consideration in any project, electrical or otherwise.

MC

Smile Re: GFCI Protection

I am no master electrican, but safety seems to be the issue here, and for an outdoor application i believe the best course would be a regular or gfci outlet, but the propper fix would be A.F.C.I breaker on that (dedicated) circuit...seems to work for me in my out buildings...just a thought