+ Reply to Thread

Default Please check my work for GFCI to undercabinet lights

I posted about a GFCI to a outlet, and to a switch controlling the garbage disposal, and since I got such great help I thought I'd try another one.

I'm wiring for undercabinet lights, which I would like to have hard wired to a switch if I can find some that will work.

I have an existing outlet which is going to be above the counter, so I'm replacing with a GFCI. This outlet is between other outlets in other rooms, that I don't want proteceted.

My plan is to go from the GFCI, to a switch that will control an outlet which will run the undercabinet lights. All I can seem to find now are low voltage lights that are plugged into an outlet. So I'm going to install and outlet....if I can find lights to hard wire, I will change out the outlet and connect the wires directly to the under cabinet lights.

I've inclosed to drawings....one with the GFCI protecting the undercabinets, and the other way GFCI just protecting the the lone GFCI and not the switch or outlet that follow.

Please let me know if these both would work, and if it's better to do it one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gfci_plus_outlet_switch.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	single_gfci.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	637  
    Last edited by Scribe; 01-30-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Default Re: Please check my work for GFCI to undercabinet lights

Your wiring diagrams seem to be correct ... just remember to wire the line feeds to the "line" side of the GFCI for both configurations and for the switched outlet to the "load" side of the GFCI.

Hope this helps and stay safe.

Thanks for checking. Got it with the line and load. Thanks again.

Just a note about the undercabinet lighting.....

There are low voltage systems that have a transformer that can be hardwired to the switch. Kichler Linear (I think it's Linear) is one model.