+ Reply to Thread

Default Toilet Smells without Use

I just bought my place a few months ago but just moved in recently. I live in the bottom level of a 3-level condo complex.

I've found that my guest toilet has the tendency to acquire bad smells and cloudy water while I'm away at work (I've never been in the bathroom when it's changed states so I can't speak to the mechanism). The toilet appears to flush fine, and I hardly use it, so I don't think it's because I forget to flush (although I could blame the occasional guest). It doesn't flood.

I can't relate it to times *I* use the plumbing system (baths, etc.). It doesn't do it every day, but it's happened often enough that I'd like to try and get it fixed. Is it backing up? Is it just a lousy toilet put in years ago that doesn't fully flush? Any ideas or help is appreciated.

(Thanks for taking the time to read this).

Default Re: Toilet Smells without Use

If your getting an odor its probably going to be one of two things:
    1. Your toilet isn't properly sealed and needs a new wax ring.
    2. You have a venting issue, possibly clogged up and unable to vent properly.
    I'd start with replacing the wax ring as thats cheap and fairly easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltish View Post
    I just bought my place a few months ago but just moved in recently. I live in the bottom level of a 3-level condo complex.

I've found that my guest toilet has the tendency to acquire bad smells and cloudy water while I'm away at work
    Sounds like you need to teach your pets to flush!!

Seriously, though....
    The cloudy water symptom makes me think its not a wax ring problem, but a back up problem. I am assuming all condo units share a single sewer connection? Do you know your upstairs neighbors well enough to ask them to flush while you watch your guest toilet to see if it could be related? A couple of them may need to flush at the same time to cause the problem with a slow drain (which may explain the irregularity of the issue). Or maybe it is the volume of a washer going through its drain cycle?

Something to try anyhow, hope this helps.

Although I don't have your exact issue I do have a guest bath that is occasionally used. I keep a small bottle of bleach under the sink and pour a 1/4 cup or so of it in the bowl when I know it won't be used for a while.