Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing Garbage Disposal this weekend

I'm planning to install a garbage disposal this weekend and think I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do, but wanted to see what y'all thought about it.

This is a new installation and I've got a good handle on the the actual disposal and plumbing part of it, my question relates to the electrical.

I replaced the dishwasher a year ago. The electrical for the DW was simply a long piece of Romex coming up through the floor from the basement.

For the GD can I simply disconnect the DW, run the Romex into a new junction box mounted on the back wall, then run new Romex to the DW and the GD switch - which I will mount inside the cabinet under the sink?

It seems pretty straight forward, but this would be the most advanced electrical I've ever done and just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks.

Default Re: Installing Garbage Disposal this weekend

Thanks. I read that one and it seemed like he was wanting to do much more than what I'm doing.

I simply wanted to know if I could split the hot wire at the junction box and still feed the DW and the GD without any problems.

This may seem a really basic question to you guys, but for someone who has only replaced outlets and light fixtures in the past, it's a bit intimidating.

“Code” for having separate circuits for the disposer and dishwasher are based on the load or combined load.

Is it a twenty amp circuit?

If so I would not worry a whole lot about having them on the same circuit.

Question though:

How are you going to switch the disposer?

Sounds like you have a sound plan to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    “Code” for having separate circuits for the disposer and dishwasher are based on the load or combined load.

Is it a twenty amp circuit?

If so I would not worry a whole lot about having them on the same circuit.

Question though:

How are you going to switch the disposer?

Sounds like you have a sound plan to me.
    Yes, it's a 20 amp circuit. For the switch, since I don't want to mess with the wall and such, I was just going to put it in the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by SearsHouseMan View Post
    Yes, it's a 20 amp circuit. For the switch, since I don't want to mess with the wall and such, I was just going to put it in the cabinet.
    This would work fine as a temporary location, a wall switch would be more convenient to use/find. I seem to recall there being an issue with locating the switch under the sink (wet zone), though I don't know the code particulars about it.

I don't know where they got it, but I just installed some tops and had to drill a hole for a gd that had a button that mounted on the top of the counter. one push on the button and it turned on and another push and it turned off.

Aren't those air activated switches?

something like this? http://www.plumbingsupply.com/airswi...roperator.html

that would be it. thanks canuk

No problemo

Smile Re: Installing Garbage Disposal this weekend

Sorry to go off course, but the air switches are outstanding, especially for retrofits. I've been trying to talk my customers into them, even on new construction.