+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Why do you guys have to get so technical? You mean everyones house isn't the same as mine?

I wonder if there's a water softener that might be backwashing itself too frequently, or is stuck on that cycle.
    I don't have a water softener. So that can't be it.

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheShack View Post
    Canuk nailed it!

Most modern water meters have a little diamond-shaped flow indicator, usually to the left of the dial, usually red or black, that indicates even the SLIGHTEST amount of water flow.

I had a similar problem a year ago where my bill doubled; the first thing the water dept. told me was to check the meter flow indicator.

Sure enough, it was moving; in my case, it turned out to be a defective ballcock valve.
    I just replaced a ballcock in one of my toilets, but did that w/in the last 5 days of the month. How would that drain out 7000 gallons? I do have a flap that sticks about 25% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    10 gallon per hour leak? Yikes.

Cracked toilet overflow tube beneath the water level ???

There was mention of a toilet refill valve replacement, yes?

A little too aggressive in there and the tube could have been cracked. Have seen old tubes simply rotted thru.

Failed seal/washer inside a softener head would be a definite possibility, as would a cracked tube on a toilet refill valve.

How's about toilet tank refill water level set a tad too high so there's a constant flow over the top of the overflow tube?
    Yes, I replaced the ball cock/toilet valve from where the water comes into the tank and fills it up after a flush (just making sure we're talking about the same thing.) I did tighten it down pretty good. I will replace that this weekend and see if that helps after checking my meter...

In the toilet where I replaced the ballcock. If the tube was cracked and leaking into the basin, wouldn't I hear the water kick on every now and again to refill the tank? I also put food coloring in there and none of it made it into the basin. Maybe I'm missing something here....

Quote Originally Posted by lootsdw View Post
    I don't have a water softener. So that can't be it.
    Now you're just being difficult ...

It will be interesting to see what the meter is doing.

Thanks for the all the help and advice you all provided to me over the last few days.

I replaced the ball cocks and flush valves on the other two toilets in my house and that seems to have fixed the problem. The guest toilet seems to have been the culpret. The meter was running just like you said it was, and is no longer doing so unless water is being used. It was a little more complicated than I had originally intended because when I shut off the gate valve for the entire house it froze shut, so I had to replace that also. Total cost was about $50.

Again thanks very much for the help, I'm glad I particpated in this forum.

Glad that we were able to steer you in the right direction. Thanks for the update.