+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

    Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    The first thing to do is check the meter. I got a $300 electric bill one month, usual use is $70, because the meter reader transposed two numbers. That's hard on an old mans heart.
    Jack
    jack your tooo funny

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

    Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    sir kent you must have made an error for we know the gov't doesn't make mistakes



    Meaning?

    Whadda I miss?

    Extra 7000 per month. 30 days*24 hours = 720hrs.

    7000/720= 9.722222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 222
    Last edited by kentvw; 01-17-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Bad, bad use of little marky thingys other than letters which reside on my keyboard.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,480

    Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

    Building on the "read the meter" thing.

    Has there been any work done in the yard near where the supply line comes in from the street to the house? (I've got a story about that one ... )

    Go read your meter and note the number, wait one hour and go recheck the meter and note the number. Now, turn off the water at the house, wait an hour and recheck the meter. This will tell you if the problem is in the house, between the house and the street, or the water department needed a raise this month.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Go read your meter and note the number, wait one hour and go recheck the meter and note the number. Now, turn off the water at the house, wait an hour and recheck the meter. This will tell you if the problem is in the house, between the house and the street, or the water department needed a raise this month.
    Mileage may vary depending on where the meter is located. At the street or at the house.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

    Most meters will have a flow indicator ... in the case of the mechanical type there may be a small white star shaped device that spins when there is flow through through the meter.

    Depending where the meter is located will also help determining where there may flow when there shouldn't be.

    If the meter is located in the home and if there were a leak between the street and the house this wouldn't register through the meter.

    If the meter is outside then there could be a leak between the meter and the house.



    Yeah, I'd say there is a problem but it could be a combination of things.
    sorry kent ... I didn't catch what you were meaning.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

    Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post


    Meaning?

    Whadda I miss?

    Extra 7000 per month. 30 days*24 hours = 720hrs.

    7000/720= 9.722222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 222
    Last edited by kentvw : Today at 04:41 PM. Reason: Bad, bad use of little marky thingys other than letters which reside on my keyboard.


    I wasn't speaking of your calculations. I was saying in regards to your being billed on averages

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

    Oh................

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,480

    Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

    Why do you guys have to get so technical? You mean everyones house isn't the same as mine?

    I wonder if there's a water softener that might be backwashing itself too frequently, or is stuck on that cycle.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Why do you guys have to get so technical? You mean everyones house isn't the same as mine?

    I wonder if there's a water softener that might be backwashing itself too frequently, or is stuck on that cycle.
    dw taught us

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fayette County, Ohio
    Posts
    5,555

    Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Why do you guys have to get so technical? You mean everyones house isn't the same as mine?

    I wonder if there's a water softener that might be backwashing itself too frequently, or is stuck on that cycle.
    I can't beleive it took that long for one of us to think of that.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •