+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Water Bill Doubled

Hi All - I recieved this months water bill, and our usage for a family of 4 went from 4000/month on average to 11000 gallons. I inquired with the municipal water service, and they advised to check my toilets for leaks. I dropped some food coloring in the tanks and let it sit for a couple hours, no leaks. There are no visible leaks or pools anywhere in the house from other sources aside from a couple drippy faucets I've been meaning to replace gaskets/washers in. We started potty training my son, and have been flushing the toilets more, but I can't imagine we did that enough to warrant 7000 gallons. I also replaced the ball cock in one of my toilets recently, but that appears to be working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas of where leaks can occur that aren't obvious?

Default Re: Water Bill Doubled

I'm with you that is a big difference. first I would go out and write down and keep track of useage of water myself then you know what you are using independantly of what they are saying, just in case they aren't giving an actual reading every month. the second thing I would do is check to see if a line outside is the problem, like one going out to water sprinklers, even though underground you would be able to tell because all that water is going to displace soil and you are going to have a hole that is going to appear to be like a sink hole developing. and if you are like my brother you could have neighbors who are running a hose from your property to theirs

Is the plumbing running in a slab?
    With no plumbing appliances running check see and if your water meter is indicating flow.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    With no plumbing appliances running check see and if your water meter is indicating flow.
    sure if ya wanna do it the easy way.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    sure if ya wanna do it the easy way.
    Oops ... sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    @ 7000 a month it would be close to a ten gallon and hour leak or reading................. Thats a lotta watta!

I can tell you that in the past I have been billed on "averages" and not actual meter readings and then had a higher or lower bill when the reading was finally taken.

Kent ... you don't think there is a problem?

sir kent you must have made an error for we know the gov't doesn't make mistakes

Yeah, I'd say there is a problem but it could be a combination of things.

Quote:

"couple drippy faucets"

Depending on how bad those drips are it could amount to quite a significant amount.

As has been suggested I would take a meter reading, leave everything off for one hour and take a second reading.

In the meantime Id fix the faucets.

The first thing to do is check the meter. I got a $300 electric bill one month, usual use is $70, because the meter reader transposed two numbers. That's hard on an old mans heart.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb