+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating 2x4 walls

I am remodeling my dinning room and have removed the old wallboard. It is 2x4 construction which does not allow for very much insulation. Would it be a good idea to install 1 inch thick rigid foam insulation between the studs and then add faced R13 fiberglass over the foam?

Default Re: Insulating 2x4 walls

Quote Originally Posted by BDR View Post
    I am remodeling my dinning room and have removed the old wallboard. It is 2x4 construction which does not allow for very much insulation. Would it be a good idea to install 1 inch thick rigid foam insulation between the studs and then add faced R13 fiberglass over the foam?
    R13 fiberglass is made to be installed in 3"space, the more you compress it the less effective it is. Have you considered spray foam insulation, I believe it would be a better choice.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If you have 2lb closed cell foam installed into the cavities that you have opened, you will get about a R-21. This will become one of most comfortable rooms in your home. The foam will also add structural integrity to your structure.

Go with the 2lb Closed Cell Foam - you will be glad you did.

Another option is to put back 3 1/2" batt insulation in the wall, 1/2" or 3/4" rigid foam on the studs, then drywall directly over the rigid insulation.

Thanks for the info.