+ Reply to Thread

Default Primer bubbling..

Hi. I have a house from the 40's that I just got. I've been painting the place. I primed the kitchen with kilz 2, and I noticed that around a vent, the primer bubbled. I'm not sure what the previous owner used, but it looks like he sealed the vent on with some sort of caulk, or almost like rubber cement. Kilz 2 wanted nothing to do with that sealant. Any thoughts on what I should do? Stick some paintable caulk on top of that?

Default Re: Primer bubbling..

Well, if Kilz doesn't cover it, then my suggestion would be to install a small piece of trim around the vent to cover the problem area (assuming that it is in fact a small problem). Other than that, you can try scraping and sanding the area to remove the residual caulk.

Good luck.

Good thought about sanding. I figured I could throw something else on top of it.. maybe like gripper.. Trim's not a bad idea. I'll play and see what happens.. Maybe I'll just cut around the cover, pull it out,sand and throw some spackle or joint compound over funky area..

Sounds like he used silicone caulk witch is non paint-able. You will have to remove it if you want to paint.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I guess the only real way to do things is the right way, peel it off, sand, and touch it up with spackle. Too bad there's not some sort of primer that will stick to it..

A more interesting question, is why use silicone when it's not paintable?