+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cat5e?

Default Re: cat5e?

Can't do it easily. The house is shaped like an L sort of. And the attic runs over the main part of the house, where as the bedrooms run under the smaller wing, not the attic, and for what ever reason, there's no access to the tiny bit of attic above the bedrooms.

I could try and cut an access hole in the closet ceiling, and crawl in and see what I find. I should be able at that point to cut another hole to get into the 2nd floor's knee wall area...

What a pain. I may wait to win the lottery, or just live with wireless..

I should get my camera out so you guys can see some pictures!

Good Idea. I'll take a look for the load bearing wall and see what I can find.

Would you have a problem with fishing some shielded cat5e, and a quad shielded coax through the same route as the electric? That should be pretty easy.. and I bet I could do it myself..

Really, the worst thing here about creating a second route is that between the 1st floor and the basement, there's a concrete section about 12-14 inches thick, and below that are a number of drain lines...

I appreciate everyone's help!

Great. I may just give it a shot.

The electric circuit isn't usually taxed too heavily. I'm slowly replacing / adding new circuits to the house as I have time to do so. This line is dedicated to running a/v equipment, computers, and PA gear when bands come over to practice on the 2nd floor/attic.

I really appreciate all of the input and support!

JCphotog ... at this stage you might as well go the easy route ..... as mentioned if it doesn't work out then the conduit run outside might be another good idea or wait till you're doing some upgrades that will have an opening in a wall.

Good luck.