+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Connecting a light to an existing Ceiling fan

I purchased a ceiling light for a Hunter ceiling fan. When I made all of the necessary connections, the light would not work. Before removing the entire fan essembly, I'm guessing that the blue wire for the light had not been coneected when the fan was first installed. My question is without the instructions for the fan, where does the blue wire get connected to.

Default Re: Connecting a light to an existing Ceiling fan

Check out number 16 at this link http://www.hunterfan.com/pages/faqs.php?faqID=1

I would guess that when the fan was installed the blue wire was left disconnected. There would have been no reason to connect it at the time.

If you do not have two separate switch legs, one for the fan and one for the light coming up from the wall switch location, you can still tie the blue switch leg wire for the fan to the same switch leg as the fan (Black?) and have the light work.

You should not need to remove the entire fan to make the connection either. Just drop the canopy down and you should have access to the wiring.

That would be ok if it's just a switch to turn on/off the fan but if there was a speed control for the fan there should be a separate feed for the light ... yes / no ?

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    That would be ok if it's just a switch to turn on/off the fan but if there was a speed control for the fan there should be a separate feed for the light ... yes / no ?
    No, speed control is handled at the fan, not the switch or supply line. I suspect that Kentvw is correct, and the blue wire wasn't connected when the fan was installed.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    No, speed control is handled at the fan, not the switch or supply line. I suspect that Kentvw is correct, and the blue wire wasn't connected when the fan was installed.
    I'm talking about the wall mounted fan on/off/speed control .

The wall mounted speed controls that I've seen are radio based, so the fan is still getting full power and is using a radio signal to change speeds. I will concede that things may have changed since the last one I installed.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I'm talking about the wall mounted fan on/off/speed control .
    Yes indeedy. That would indeed muck things up wouldn't it! A decision would then need to be made to replace the speed control with a switch if an additional switch leg could not be added between the switch location and the fan.

Good point Canuk. Just proves that all that Great White Nort cold has not affected brain cell function.

The wall mounted speed controls that I've seen are radio based, so the fan is still getting full power and is using a radio signal to change speeds. I will concede that things may have changed since the last one I installed.
    I'll give you that one though I'm referring to the hardwired controllers .... yep ... been a while since I've put one in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    rabbitgun scratches head............ maybe?............ This is quite a technological advancement we are talk'n 'bout here!

Yes I suppose it just could be.............

Never seen it but that don't mean anything.