+ Reply to Thread

Question Wheelchair flooring

I have a 1950 ranch, need new flooring in main halls and kitchen dinning rooms. Kit., din., are one long floor. Kitchen is galley type with laundry, back door at one end, dinning rm at other. About 43', then main hall front door to back of house den, 25'. Connecting two bedrooms,bath,den,living rm,hall to kitchen.
    I'm in a powerchair, I and chair are around 775 Lbs. rolling load, turning of casters, twisting of drive wheels 16" x 2". Start stop turn start turn stop turn start turn stop turn start turn stop turn start turn stop turn start turn stop turn start turn stop turn start turn stop turn start turn etc.,etc.
    NO JOKE, I do that much and more. I'm cook, dish washer.
    I vinyl floor new in 1981, cracks at few joints dimples where underlayment had knots. Other wise it served US well. One wheelchair, one wife, one dog, then add ten cats, remove ten cats add one more dog, today make it three dogs, two Labradors and one Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    Now new floor is needed and ideas ?
    Vinyl strip flooring?
    Tile in main hall 8" x 8" cracked, cracked, etc.. Over Plywood.
    I like the sheet vinyl, but.
    Suggestions.

Default Re: Wheelchair flooring

You might consider and engineered floor with an aluminum oxide coating.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Lamiante Flooring is a good choice for wheelchairs and scooters but make sure you select a AC4+ rating from manufacturers like ALLOC and Quick Step because they will warranty the flooring as long as it was installed properly. For more information on Wheelchair compatible flooring, check out bestlaminate.net/adaflooring

To be able to carry the weight you're describing, the floor has to have solid subfloor, joists or concrete. So whatever floor you decide to put in, take a look at what the floor will be sitting on first.

Laminate (1/2" or 12 mm, but not thinner) would be OK.

Engineered or hardwood would be better.

I'm Italian. We tile everything*. A good tile job will last a few lifetimes.

* You should see my refridgerator

Another option is lightweight concrete. It can be poured over a regular wood subfloor, with proper underlayment material. Opt for infused color rather than a stain, as it will be much more durable and won't show wear.

This will likely be the most durable and may be the most expensive, with the possible exception of tile (depending on the tile). It can be stamped to give the impression of tile or rock, thought that makes it rougher.

A similar option is terrazzo (it's Italian!) which is poured concrete that is then ground down to expose the aggregate. When colored aggregate is used, it can be very striking.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Wink Re: Wheelchair flooring

Houston,

Do you have one of those refrigirators made by FIAT?

Let's just say it doesn't get very good gas mileage.

You can try decorative concrete floors. They are vary durable and pleasing to the eye. Concretenetwork.com has alot of pictures and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    To be able to carry the weight you're describing, the floor has to have solid subfloor, joists or concrete. So whatever floor you decide to put in, take a look at what the floor will be sitting on first.

Laminate (1/2" or 12 mm, but not thinner) would be OK.

Engineered or hardwood would be better.
    This, to be sure! Floors are rated at lbs/SqFt, but you've got a lbs/SqInch issue in a chair, so the subflooring rigidity matters a lot more than normally. I really like 3/4" Advantek for my ADA remodels as there is nothing more rigid across the joists. With that you'll never have a problem, but anything else short of 3+ inches of concrete is likely to flex. Vinyl flooring today doesn't seem to be as durable as in the 80's, especially the cheap stuff. Hardwood would be your best bet in non-wet locations with 6" or smaller tiles in the baths and kitchens, Be sure all the tile is non-slip as your chair might otherwise skid away in self-transfer situations and you sure don't need that! If you can, try to find a contractor who does a lot of ADA work as this too is different from what the usual work requires and they should have a greater understanding and knowledge of what will work best for you.

Good Luck!
    Phil