+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Connecting a light to an existing Ceiling fan

That Sprucey ... he's up to date with all the high tech stuff ... he's from California ... they have everything .... except licensed journeyman electricians ... oops don't go there

It's been a few years here, but the way I recall the unit I installed worked was the fan had a remote control unit within it. The wall switch was replaced with a receiver that a hand held unit interfaced with, the fan itself was running still supplied with full current.

Back to the original question, I think we're still dealing with a blue light control wire that was never connected, and kentvw's repair is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    That Sprucey ... he's up to date with all the high tech stuff ...
    Flattery will get you no where ...

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Back to the original question, I think we're still dealing with a blue light control wire that was never connected, and kentvw's repair is the way to go.
    If there was a toggle wall switch to turn the fan on/off and the fan simply has the pull chains to determine the speeds then I would certainly agree with that.

The other point raised was if there was a hardwired fan control on the wall this would act like a dimmer to the light as the speed was reduced.... which is not necessarily a desired outcome.

But of course since it's not known what set up the OP has this is merely speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Flattery will get you no where ...
    Since when?

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    That would be ok if it's just a switch to turn on/off the fan but if there was a speed control for the fan there should be a separate feed for the light ... yes / no ?
    The only switch that operates the fan is a speed control switch on the fan itself. The wall switch does not operate the fan....

Question if there is a wall switch that you "think" should control the fan?

If not, if there is no wall switch then I would say tie the blue in with what ever color feed the fan in the ceiling box behind the canopy.

It would be helpful to know what wires/colors are in the box behind the canopy.

Edit; I would imagine that there is a pull-chain on the fan to control the light.
    Last edited by kentvw; 01-18-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Just because.................... Okay?

Another question .... did this ceiling fan replace a ceiling light fixture?