+ Reply to Thread

Question Tiling basement floor

I have a concrete basement floor with some small cracks and some Latex paint "splatters".
    I plan to use the concrete floor as my passive cooling source for the wine cellar I am building.
    I plan to install DITRA over the concrete to prevent water penetration and cracking of the Travertine finish tiles.
    QUESTIONI
    Do I need to do any special preparation to the existing concrete floor to get the unfortified thinset to adhere to both the DITRA and concrete? I have already sc****d and power washed the floor(I am concerned about the paint splatters)

Default Re: Tiling basement floor

Using the Ditra will be a good idea at least for an isolation membrane.

As far as surface preparation ..... make sure slab is be free of waxy or oily films and curing compounds.... lay down the unmodified mortar and Ditra then go to town on the tiles.

The paint spatters would depend on the size since the mortar doesn't adhere well to paint may require some sort of mechanical scouring to remove. If they are just drip marks here and there it likely wouldn't be an issue.

Canuk,

Good News
    When I powerwashed the floor, the water seemd to sink into the concrete and not bead up which makes me think that I don't have a problem with wax or oil, etc.
    Bad News-
    I thought that powerwashing the floor would remove the latex paint splatters. It Didn't. I think I will go to the rental center and get a machine to "mill" the floor, just to be safe.

I would think an acid wash would do the trick. It should remove the paint and roughen the surface for better bonding of the thin set.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb