+ Reply to Thread

Question Old Light Fixtures

I have a house that was built in 1918. It had a wonderful old glass light fixture in the kitchen that recently came loose and came crashing down. Needless to say it shattered into a million pieces. It was a flush mount light with clear glass (but textured)on the bottom and white glass around the edges. What I am wondering is if anyone knows where I can find one similar to it. I still have knob and tube wiring to it and I just want the glass part. I have looked ****** at Rejuvenation and many other sites and have found nothing like it.

Also, is that the right fixture for the period of my house?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Have you tried a local salvage yard? Or perhaps there is a materials exchange in your region like The Hudson Valley Materials Exchange.

Do you have any pictures of the fixture? Even if you caught it in the background of a shot, any image that will give us an idea would help...

Let us know!
    Last edited by Moderator; 06-04-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Default Re: Old Light Fixtures

You may be in for a very long search (which may be fruitless) to find a replacement, but don't forget to try Ebay, you can often find very old fixtures there.
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

Did you try www.vintagehomelighting.com ?????

Debbie T

Smile Re: Old Light Fixtures

You can also ask your Community's Building 'Code Enforcement' Officer or a Member of the 'Historical' Committee ...

Try eBay. You will be surprised at what you can find and for a good price.

Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I did try eBay right after it happened..no luck. I know I need to go back and try again.

Tabitha, I will search for the pictures I have of it. I know I have some of it when the kitchen went through a renovation to return it to the original hardwood floors that were underneath vinyl tiles. I took pictures of the process. Now if I could only figure out where I put them!

I will try the site that was posted too. I think I did visit it, but I went to so many of them, that I may have missed it.

I'm off to try it now.

Again, much thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by baspence View Post
    I have a house that was built in 1918. It had a wonderful old glass light fixture in the kitchen that recently came loose and came crashing down. Needless to say it shattered into a million pieces. It was a flush mount light with clear glass (but textured)on the bottom and white glass around the edges. What I am wondering is if anyone knows where I can find one similar to it. I still have knob and tube wiring to it and I just want the glass part. I have looked ****** at Rejuvenation and many other sites and have found nothing like it.

Also, is that the right fixture for the period of my house?

Any help would be very much appreciated!
    hello
    i also have an old house and i do a little bit of redacorating myself, i have a kind of glass similar to yours, but i am not sure where you can find another one, if i'll see one anywhere i'll let you know