+ Reply to Thread

Question Tile wine cellar floor

I have concrete basement floor with some cracks and some latex paint splatters.
    I have super insulated the walls and ceiling and plan to use the concrete and my passive cooling sorce.
    I plan to lay honed and unfilled 16x16 travertine tiles as the finished floor.
    I may put a layer of DITRA down over the concrete before laying the tiles to prevent water penetration and cracking of the tiles.

QUESTION- Do I need to do any special preparation to the existing concrete floor to get the unfortified thinset to adhere to both the concrete and the DITRA or Travertine. I have already pressure washer the floor
    Last edited by Teach; 01-15-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: not specific enough

Fayette County, Ohio

Default Re: Wine cellar floor

I would think an acid wash might be appropriate.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Wine cellar floor

With the advice of my builder's "tile guy", I used Redgard on my concrete floors (all are radiant heat) before installing tile with Latex fortified Thinset. I put one coat on, then covered cracks and screw head covers (on the backerboard walls) with mesh tape, and then forced the second coat of Redgard through the tape to fill the cracks and level the screw head holes.

I now have tile on two bathrooms, one powder room, the entry, the kitchen and pantry, and in front of two sliding doors. This has all been applied during Fairbanks Alaska's winter, transition to spring and summer, with doors opening and closing all the time, heat in the floor during the process--lots of stress. I have one more bath floor and wall to do, and I'm doing the same there. While I haven't used any of the bathrooms for their intended purpose yet, the tile adheres well, grouting seems to go in easily, and after sealing the grout, everything seems to work well. This is a log house, so it is moving all the time as the logs dry, shrink, and settle, and the Redgard is elastic which means it can adjust.