+ Reply to Thread

Default screwholes stripped out in outside door

How do I repair stripped out screw holes in metalclad outside door and jamb.Door sags and will not close properly.
    Last edited by tgprestwood; 01-14-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: stated incorrectly

Default Re: screwholes stripped out in outside door

Screw holes are generally in the wood frame. The easiest thing to do is get some round wooden toothpicks, or wooden matches and stick them in the hole then reinstall the screws.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks MR,McDaniel.The toothpicks and matches ideah wouldn"t work but it gave me the clue for using dowels.They worked so I past it on to another.Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by tgprestwood View Post
    Thanks MR,McDaniel.The toothpicks and matches ideah wouldn"t work but it gave me the clue for using dowels.They worked so I past it on to another.Thanks again.
    Jack didn't go into detail, but for a larger hole you'd just use a bunch of toothpicks or match stick with a touch of wood glue. You tap enough toothpicks into the hole until it's completely filled tight. Give the glue about 1/2 an hour to set, then trim the toothpicks flush and drill a pilot hole for the screw.

Dowels work fine too, you just have to drill the stripped hole larger to accommodate the dowel, then glue it in place. With the toothpicks, there's no drilling out the stripped hole.

I did not have to drill holes larger,just a small dowel with starter hole for screw.Worked great.

Just a thought but wouldn't epoxy work really well? I've used that stuff for a lot of things and it works great and is strong. Just buy the stuf that comes in a stick and cut off a little bit mix it well and push it into the whole.