+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Wiring an outlet for a dishwasher and garbage disposal

Hello All,
    I am trying to wire a 12/2 romax to a wall outlet under the sink to service the dishwasher and garbage disposal all on one outlet, but top outlet of the two I would like to have controlled by a switch above the counter. The bottom part on the other hand, I would like to have hot at all times for the dishwasher. Both off course protected by a circuit breaker in the basement below.
    Is there a way to break the connection between the top and bottom outlets within the unit?
    If not, what is the common practice to accomplish this, so that the dishwasher and garbage disposal live on the same outlet?

Thanks.

Default Re: Wiring an outlet for a dishwasher and garbage disposal

Easy.

If you look at the side of the duplex receptacle you will notice that there are two side screws on each side and that between them is a little tab of metal that connects the two sides of the receptacle. You can break that tab off with a needle nose pliers.

One side of the receptacle has silver screws and the other side are brass colored. ONLY break the tab on the brass screw side. It is the hot or black side. The other, silver side is the white or neutral side.

Tie the black coming from the panel to the white going to the switch and leave a pigtail from that connection to go to the top brass screw.

Tie the black coming from the switch to the bottom brass screw.

Tie the white coming from the panel to one of the silver screws on the receptacle.

Tie both grounds together and leave a pigtail to connect to the receptacle.

Done, top is switched bottom is not.

Exclamation Re: Wiring an outlet for a dishwasher and garbage disposal

FYI,
    Many towns now require separate circuits for the garbage disposal and dishwasher. I believe it is in the NEC (I'm just too lazy to look it up right now). When I used to do new construction houses, they didn't require separate circuits and we NEVER had a problem with circuit overload, even when wired with the kitchen outlet circuit. You should be fine in that respect, however, I always suggest following local electrical codes.

Fixed appliances require separate circuits. typically 20 amp circuits

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Easy.

Done, top is switched bottom is not.
    OOPPSS!

Actually there is a major bit of misinformation in my post.

It should read:

“Bottom is switched top is not.”

Great insights, thank you much. I hope one day to give valuable advice like you all.
    Anyone need computer advice? Thanks again.

Exclamation Re: Wiring an outlet for a dishwasher and garbage disposal

If the appliances are already wired in place on the same circuit , and aren't gonna be swapped out anytime soon , and the switch is the only thing being added...... Then I would just follow the instructions given up-above. As long as the two appliances are already on the same circuit and there is no change in load (amps) this install is deemed existing and the switch can be installed with-out adding an aditional circuit. Keep in mind that the future may bring a neccesity to adding another circuit if one of the appliances gets replaced , bigger appliances possibly more (amps). I'm curious as to the amp reading when both these appliances are running at the same time. Just for laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    Fixed appliances require separate circuits. typically 20 amp circuits
    Could you quote your source?

Quote Originally Posted by lmills148 View Post
    Could you quote your source?
    First of all I want to welcome you to This old house discussions as a new member.

My answer should have been more in detail and I should have not made that general of a statement. Thanks for pointing this out to me. I was answering based on what the home owner asked. Can a dishwasher and a disposal be on the same circuit. I still say no.
    most all residential dishwashers are a minimuim of 1200 watts at 120 volts that would be 10amps according to 210.23(2) it is 50% of the load and needs seperate circuit. Most residential disposals are 1/2 hp or more according to table 430.248 the motor is to draw a current of 9.8 amps. together at full load they combined for 19.8 amps. That exceeds 80% of the branch circuit. That is why I say it is not allowed.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    First of all I want to welcome you to This old house discussions as a new member.

My answer should have been more in detail and I should have not made that general of a statement. Thanks for pointing this out to me. I was answering based on what the home owner asked. Can a dishwasher and a disposal be on the same circuit. I still say no.
    most all residential dishwashers are a minimuim of 1200 watts at 120 volts that would be 10amps according to 210.23(2) it is 50% of the load and needs seperate circuit. Most residential disposals are 1/2 hp or more according to table 430.248 the motor is to draw a current of 9.8 amps. together at full load they combined for 19.8 amps. That exceeds 80% of the branch circuit. That is why I say it is not allowed.
    I agree with that. You could also use a multi-wire branch ckt on one device.
    I only ask to understand your point of view, and I appreciate your explanation.