+ Reply to Thread

Default Trim/casings/doors to match house style??

I am struggling with my trim/casing/door styles. I love shaker-clean lines, maybe single panel or 3 panel doors with un-ornamented trim. The home I am renovating is a 1950s center hall colonial. I don't want to stray too far from what I like, but afraid it will look out of place? I don't think so, but I am hearing this from others. I am especially afraid that if I listen to them and try to put a little detail in, it will just look like I cheaped out on molding, rather than having a distinct style. Any opinions or experience with this? Thanks!

Default Re: Trim/casings/doors to match house style??

From what I hear, it depends on how long you plan on keeping the house. If you are planning on living there for a very long time, you should feel free to do what you like. If this is just a home for a few years, you will probably have problems with selling your home if it has an unexpected style. You may have to re-do everything to make it "colonial." If you're staying long-term, then by the time you are ready to sell, you will have gotten your money and time's worth out of the work you did to make it YOUR style.

Default Re: Trim/casings/doors to match house style??

Good points Hoff. How long do you plan on living there, I know that is a very tough question to answer...but ballpark?
    New homeowner in need of Hidden Content assistance.