+ Reply to Thread

Default Door Threshold problems

My wife and I just recently bought a house. The front door threshold "rolls" as you walk over it because there is a gap of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the threshold and the concrete (on the outside of the home) and probably goes approximately 1/2 to 1inch under the threshold. This is an aluminum threshold. What can I use to fill this gap?

I was told that concrete should have been added during door installation to fill this gap. Is there something else I can use to fill this gap? such as rubber, foam etc... I was hoping for a quick fix because I do not want to remove the double doors for a 1/2 inch gap. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Door Threshold problems

A bag of Sackrete mortar mix should take care of the problem. You want something solid.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    A bag of Sackrete mortar mix should take care of the problem. You want something solid.
    Jack
    Which type of mortar mix should I use? The Fast Patch or something similar which sets quickly? Obviously I want it to set fast since we need to use the front door and there is really nothing to frame since it is under the threshold. Thank you for any help!

Spray foam will work to fill the void and help stabilize the threshold ... plus it will provide the air seal that may be missing.

I don't believe spray foam will hold up to the constant traffic on the threshold.
    Just about any mortar mix will work, just don't mix it very wet and it will set up in a short time.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks everyone for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Spray foam will work to fill the void and help stabilize the threshold ... plus it will provide the air seal that may be missing.
    Hey I thought with all you canadians it was duct tape like the red green show,

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    Hey I thought with all you canadians it was duct tape like the red green show,
    Naw ... in the new millenium it's spray foam .