+ Reply to Thread

Default Tiles for edging

We are getting ready to redo our kitchen which is still original from 1919. At the bottom of the walls (which are plaster) they stopped the plaster about 7" from the bottom of the floor and glued tiles up against it with concrete mortar. Most of these tiles have fallen down so now we have this large line all around the room of just concrete mortar. Any ideas what I could put up in its place? I dont want to nail a 1 x 12 up around my whole kitchen but haven't found anything else that will work.

Default Re: Tiles for edging

You could replace the mortar w/ drywall and then tape, mud, and paint. Then put up regular sized baseboard. Another option would be to run wainscoting on the walls up to about 36". Good luck in your project.

Mike

Default Re: Tiles for edging

If you don't want to reinstall tile baseboard, then fill the area with drywall and tape/texture it to match the plaster walls. Follow that with two coats of primer and two coats of paint.

Sabo's idea of wainscot isn't a half bad either, though you will still need to fill the hole left by the tile to give some backing for the wainscot and new baseboard. If you go this route, wainscot ranges from 32" to 36" from the floor, what will work best for you will depend on chair and/or window height within the area where the wainscot will be installed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!