+ Reply to Thread

Default Halo IC vs non IC housings--swap or keep?

Our one-story home is filled with Halo remodel-type recessed can lights (from Home Depot) that our electrician installed seven years ago. Our crawlspace/attic is not insulated, and I'm concerned that our Halo housings will prevent us from saving energy by insulating.

Does anyone know more about this topic, such as how one could determine if the installed fixtures are insulation compatible or not? Would it be worth the money (or even possible, since all walls and ceilings are closed) to swap them out for IC-type housing?

Thanks!

Default Re: Halo IC vs non IC housings--swap or keep?

http://www.haloltg.com/common/brands...scent&id=12331

The above link will take you to a Halo remodel type recessed housing that is IC rated to be in direct contact with insulation.

If you want your installation to be National Electrical Code compliant then if your existing housings are non IC rated, you will need to keep the insulation at least 3 away from the sides of housing, wiring compartment and ballast if so equipped. The real kicker is that you are not allowed to have any insulation over the top of the housings no matter what the distance. Ill refer you to NEC article 410.116 of the 2008 edition and article 410.66 of the 2005 edition.

As far as identifying your housings; they should be labeled. Although, you may need to remove the lamp and trim to identify.

Personally I would change the cans if they are not IC rated and insulate if you are in a climate that requires you to heat or cool your home much.

I tightened up my own 1500 sq/ft home, heat and cool with natural gas and my gas and electric bill averages about $65.00 a month.

Dear All,

Thanks so much for that quick info--I will get out the ladder and inspect the housings (every one of them, I suppose). I am very, very motivated to reduce our utility bill, make our home more comfortable, and conserve resources.

Thanks again,
    Huetopia

Quote Originally Posted by Huetopia View Post
    Dear All,

Thanks so much for that quick info--I will get out the ladder and inspect the housings (every one of them, I suppose). I am very, very motivated to reduce our utility bill, make our home more comfortable, and conserve resources.

Thanks again,
    Huetopia
    The model number would have "IC" somewhere in it.

On the Halo cans that I have used,the non-IC ones are painted white.The IC ones are just bare metal.I hope this helps.

Post Re: Halo IC vs non IC housings--swap or keep?

I agree that there should be a label inside the can that will tell you it it is an IC can or not. If the lights were retrofitted (meaning installed after drywall/plaster was up) they can be switched out with IC cans. Turn off power to the lighting circuit, remove bulb and trim, loosen drywall clamps with1 flat blade screwdriver and lower entire housing. open cover and disconnect wires. The new can will go in in reverse order.
    If you have new construction cans the housing can still be swapped out. Turn off power, remove housing and trim, remove 3 1/4" hex screws. Either lower or raise housing into ceiling cavity. Remove junction box cover and disconnect wires from housing. Use pliers to remove connector from BX to box and completely remove housing. On the new IC light, remove housing from nailing bracket. Install new housing in old housing and connect in reverse order as well. Make sure all of your connections are tight.
    Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me for any questions.
    Josh

Great info Thanks