+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cedar siding

Threaded View

Cool cedar siding

My honey got my house 20% sided and then ran off with a new honey!!!

I have some questions about how to finish this project. I have all the tongue and groove boards and other materials, now I just have questions.

On the part of the house that's completed, he double nailed each of the boards. I've seen on some internet sites that you can singly toe-nail them and then you don't have to fill and sand all of the nail holes...any comments? The boards are 6" wide. They are also seconds so I have a lot of open knot holes, I would also like to know how to address them.

I've included some pics in this post. My next question is about window trim. They're not trimmed yet and I had a friend tell me to caulk around the edges of the siding and the tar paper underneath. The original carpenter on this project later told me that I shouldn't have done that because it will trap moisture in behind the boards. He later told me that it's probably okay for now because the house is sitting for the winter. So, I'm wondering if in the spring time before I trim the windows, should I somehow remove that caulking? (see photo 1)

My next concern is how to do the corners of the house (see photo 2 ). He put the boards to the edge and planned on running boards vertically on the corners. I'm wondering how to attach (nailing pattern) the corner trim and if and where I should caulk...the ends of the boards are not caulked right now and I'm a little concerned.?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you have to offer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0196.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0197.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	530