+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Hard Water Solutions

I just had my water tested and the gentleman explained that I had a water hardness of 17. He showed me all the sediment in his test sample after it had separated. He suggested a system that costs $3,000 installed. Is there a cheaper way? I know that I would probably spend $3,000 in new plumbing and appliances through the years, is it worth it?

Default Re: Hard Water Solutions

Well, you definitely have hard water - but I don't believe you need to spend $3000. I have very hard water (25 grains of hardness with sediment). I purchased a softener from Sears (Kenmore brand) for approximately $400 and had it installed by them - total of $600 or so. Works great. I installed a sediment filter by myself about a year later. Very common to have sediment filters on well water but my water had quite a bit of sediment. Thought it would help out the softener. Hope this helps.

Default Re: Hard Water Solutions

One more thing.....I bought a 17,000 grain water softener and it runs about every three to four days. I live alone so the water usage is not overly high. Consider a larger softener if there are several people living in the home so the softener doesn't have to run every day.