+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noisy Heater

Default Noisy Heater

I have a older gas furnace in a closet which has a very short intake duct. When it is on it is exstremly loud, so much so it can wake my wife and I up at night. the TV volume has to be increased about 10 levels to compensate for it.

Any suggestions on queiting this monster?

Default Re: Noisy Heater

Hopefully you'll get some additional posts so you can solve this problem.

From my limited knowledge of forced hot air, excessive noise is a common problem with short return ducts because so much return air is flowing thru the return at that point near the fan.

Some suggestions have been to try different things until you get even a partial improvement, which will point to a solution.

Have you had any contractors over to look at it yet???

Try installing a new filter; run the system temporarily with the filter partially open, or absent to see if there is any noise change.

Is there a lower fan speed that the furnace can be run at??

Have you checked that all the supply and return registers are open to reduce air restrictions???

Have you tried to reduce vibrations at the return & supply ducts near the furnace??

Is there anything else in the ducting that is restricting air flow??

Can you temporarily loosen the short return duct (usually just held on by metal screws) to let more air into the furnace fan to see if that reduces noise??

If that causes improvement, can you temporarily install an additional return duct to the short one you have now to see if the noise abates??

Sheet metal at the return duct is not that hard to cut with a sawzall (reciprocating saw) fitted with a metal-cutting blade.

Any hole you make can be easily covered up with another piece of sheet metal (HD/Lowe's) and sheet metal screws.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 01-09-2008 at 09:52 PM.

A few more suggestions-
    Check and see if the blower or motor is loose.
    Check to see if the blower and/or motor shaft wobbles, bearings worn out.
    Check the blower to make sure its clean and not out of balance.
    If the blower is belt driven see if the belt needs to be replaced. Many times the belt,if old, will have flat spots on them
    If it's a squeaking noise check to see if the blower shaft or motor has an oil inlet and oil them.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 01-09-2008 at 11:55 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Has it always been this loud or is it a recent development?

If it is a recent development....
    Recently the furnace at church started making quite a bit of noise, when the blower would kick on. We thought the motor mounts were loose and called the tech since it was still under warranty. Turned out to be a piece of that insulation that is on the inside wall of the blower compartment came loose and was sucked into the squirrel cage of the blower. A 10 second fix to pull out the piece of insulation. Kind of embarrassing to have called someone in for that, but something I'll always remember to check for now!

If it has always been this way....
    Is this the only return vent for the furnace? As Jack said, those do tend to be quite noisy because of the amount of airflow. Following his suggestions to test this theory might lead to adding another intake vent or moving the one you have to an area that the noise would be less disturbing.

Hope its an easy fix for you.

If this unit is as old as you say it is and all of the other suggestions don't work it may be time to upgrade to a newer furnace. Some of the newer furnaces have D.C. volt drive blower motors which are much more quiet than there predessors, and also use less gas and electricity. Hope I could help some.

Jack,

Thanks for all the suggestions I will try all of them next time I am at the house and see if I get any results.

regards, john

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheShack View Post
    Hopefully you'll get some additional posts so you can solve this problem.

From my limited knowledge of forced hot air, excessive noise is a common problem with short return ducts because so much return air is flowing thru the return at that point near the fan.

Some suggestions have been to try different things until you get even a partial improvement, which will point to a solution.

Have you had any contractors over to look at it yet???

Try installing a new filter; run the system temporarily with the filter partially open, or absent to see if there is any noise change.

Is there a lower fan speed that the furnace can be run at??

Have you checked that all the supply and return registers are open to reduce air restrictions???

Have you tried to reduce vibrations at the return & supply ducts near the furnace??

Is there anything else in the ducting that is restricting air flow??

Can you temporarily loosen the short return duct (usually just held on by metal screws) to let more air into the furnace fan to see if that reduces noise??

If that causes improvement, can you temporarily install an additional return duct to the short one you have now to see if the noise abates??

Sheet metal at the return duct is not that hard to cut with a sawzall (reciprocating saw) fitted with a metal-cutting blade.

Any hole you make can be easily covered up with another piece of sheet metal (HD/Lowe's) and sheet metal screws.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try your suggestions next time I am at the house.
    Regards, John

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    A few more suggestions-
    Check and see if the blower or motor is loose.
    Check to see if the blower and/or motor shaft wobbles, bearings worn out.
    Check the blower to make sure its clean and not out of balance.
    If the blower is belt driven see if the belt needs to be replaced. Many times the belt,if old, will have flat spots on them
    If it's a squeaking noise check to see if the blower shaft or motor has an oil inlet and oil them.
    Jack