+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guest bath

Default Guest bath

I would like for my guest bathroom to be finished. We need to replace the ceiling light with a combo light,nightlight and exhaust fan, texture the walls and ceiling,and paint. We also need to repair the leaky tub fixture. It continues to drip a little instead of shutting off immediately.

We have an earth contact home, and the walls against the earth have not been insulated. We are not sure what the best solution to that problem is. Also the addition to the house is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. We do not seem to have adequate airflow in any part of the house. You can barely feel the air coming out of the ductwork. We have had people out to inspect, but have no answer to our problem. We would appreciate any suggestions or help that we could get!

Thanks from 2 loyal fans who never miss a show!
    Last edited by Mindi; 01-09-2008 at 07:40 AM.

Default Re: Guest bath

a new valve in the shut offs will stop the water immediately. I'd skip the texture on the walls and ceiling and just paint. If you ever have to cut into the walls for anything it's easier to smooth the patch than disguise it with texture. Texture on the ceiling just collects dust and tends to come off when you paint it or sweep the dust from the ceiling and it absorbs moisture so mold and mildew have more surface to grow on if you don't have the right paint.

Default Re: Guest bath

I used to have an older home with sme of these same problems. The temperature problems were due to lack of proper wall and attic insulation. Air flow and temperature problems were related to the length of the ducts that had been installed to the bed/nath addition, and the inadequate gas furnace installed to replace the original coal-fired unit.

I think you should check to see if your systems are adequate for the house, and how much insulation exists or needs to be added. If any walls contact dirt, the outside should be seriously sealed to prevent damage - anything in contact with the earth will eventually lose out to moisture damge if not sealed.

As for your bathroon, I am currently doing the same thing with our master bath. I planned the whole thing out and looked at the pieces together - colrs, designs, etc - before making a decision. Then I bought all the new pieces I needed, such as tub, sink, toilet, floor and wall tile, all that. I'm going to hire a contractor who will take those pieces and do the structural work needed. I don't want to wait 6 months for them to finish a 5 X 10 bathroom because they can't get the right parts or need to send the crew somewhere else.

Plan, plan, plan. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.