+ Reply to Thread

Default Making newer furniture fit with old home?

Howdy all. Apologies if this is in the wrong place. We need some advice. We own a turn-of-last-century bungalow with dark red-brown woodwork trim and built-ins throughout. We also inherited my wife's grandmother's dining room table, which appears to an historic reproduction from the 1960s or 70s, but I'm not sure--maybe that's just the upholstery. Anyway it's kind of a ****ish-brown with black specks, its legs are cylindrical, carved, and blunt-footed, and the table is oval -- not craftsman style in the least.

Getting rid of this table is not an option. Is there a tip people have for incorporating newer (yet still dated) furniture into older homes? We are up for refinishing it, but it will never look period-authentic, so I wonder of the better choice is to try to modernize it in color (circa 2008) so it doesn't look like we were even trying to be historic? All advice welcome.

Default Re: Making newer furniture fit with old home?

What you are describing sounds like an oak dinning room table, which should fit in with the craftsman style. You could strip it and stain to match the woodwork if you desire but having everything match the same finish is not a requirement as far as I'm concerned. You might first want to try cleaning the wood work with some liquid TSP, It may not be as dark as you think it is.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks -- yeah i think staining it to match the woodwork is a good first step, as it reupholstering. I guess I just worry that the legs and cane backing are going to look bizarrely out of place or like they are trying to pass for something they are not.

I think you are overlooking what is really the important issue. 2 issues one issue is it was your wife's grandmothers. that is going to be one of the things that makes it appealing to her, not how it looks according to the rest of the decor. and even in relation to the rest of your decor if it looks acceptable to the two of you that really is all thats important.

you are right. while i am not exactly overlooking that aspect -- (the sentimentality is why we sought it out to begin with) -- i just wondered if we could have it both ways -- make it somewhat historically appropriate or at least not completely clash with everything else.