+ Reply to Thread

Default 120 line voltage Vs. low voltage MR-16 recessed can lights

I am searching for advice on the installation (whole house) of the MR16 style halogen bulb recessed cans in either of the above mentioned structures. I understand line voltage has some cost benefits on the cans as well ass the switches but need more detail on the overall cost and benefits comparing the two systems especially looking to future resale.

Default Re: 120 line voltage Vs. low voltage MR-16 recessed can lights

Well, both the initial cost for both the recessed housings and the dimmers (Depending on circuit load) are less expensive. Added to that the transformers for the low voltage type will fail at some point in time. The line voltage cans should last a life time. Personally I would never install a low voltage fixture if the same was available in line voltage.

Resale? IMHO no one would ever think to ask, moot point.

Default Re: 120 line voltage Vs. low voltage MR-16 recessed can lights

Given that you can buy an MR-16 lamp in both line and low voltage it would be my option to skip the transformer and go with the line voltage type of MR-16.

MR-16ís are one of the very few lamp types that are offered in both line and low voltage.

I have nothing against low voltage lighting. I sent an electrician on his way not more than a half hour ago with a box of puck lights and lamps to be used to light some shelving in a club house. They are perfect for the application.

If I were going to be installing or retrofitting a home with recessed lighting that would be around for a long time I would take a very hard look at compact fluorescent. Not the curly-cue CF that screws into a medium base socket but a fixture with an electronic ballast that uses a pin type lamp. There are many different color temperatures available for this type of fixture.