+ Reply to Thread

Default New Upstairs addition

HELP, I own a 1922 1.5 story bungalow. I recently had the ceiling upstairs to have full 8 foot ceilings. This also added some additional living space. The upstairs will now consist of a master suite: bedroom, bath, walk in closet and an office area. Overall, about 600 sq feet. I also framed in a utilities closet for a hvac unit. I've had three contractors take a look at it. One would not call me back. The other two are pricing around $6,300 for an electric furnance and air conditioner. That seems high to me. I'm looking for alternatives. BTW it was 3 degrees here last week and the upstairs stayed fairly warm with no heat source.

Default Re: New Upstairs addition

Is the upstairs still in the roughin stage?

Were those quotes for the furnace , A/C components and all ducting?

How is the lower lower level heated/cooled?

Ask for a ductless mini split-Its an AC unit or heat pump that hangs on the wall- LG makes one that looks like and has a portrait on the front and looks hidden but works well for retro fits.

I have a forced air furnace on the main floor of the house, and a central air unit. The upstairs is still in the rough in stage, and the quote was for a complete install (air and heat units, duct work, electrical wiring). I should also mention that there is easy access to the upstairs via a mainfloor closet.