+ Reply to Thread

Default Washer backing up into sink

Before we bought our house, the washer and dryer were relocated and put on a drain line shared by the kitchen sink, Anytime that the washer drains it backs up into the sink. This is my wife's #1 "Honey do". does anyone know of a one way valve that could be put between the sink and the joint so that everything goes into the drain and not into the sink? I know that I could install a shut off valve but my wife is not going to turn that valve before and after each load of wash.

Thanks in advance,

e.j.

Default Re: Washer backing up into sink

It sounds as though the drain line for the washer was not correctly placed.
    Is it water or soap suds backing into your sink?

the sink and the joint so that everything goes into the drain and not into the sink?
    Is this joint where the washer drain is plumbed .... under the sink?

You might have to check with your local building department to see if they allow a shutoff or back flow valve installed in the drain line.... I'm guessing they wouldn't allow one under the sink.

It looks as though you might have to consider routing the washer's drain downstream of the kitchen sink drain.

Hope this helps.

Both water and detergent suds back up, depending on the washer cycle. The washer and the kitchen sink are about 8 feet apart, separated by a wall.

Thanks for your input!

E.J.

Water takes the path of least resistance, you may have a missing or blocked vent causing some back pressure when the washer empties. A ball valve or anti back op valve would probably not be a good choice in a sink drain especially if you have a garbage grinder in the sink.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have the same problem but it backs up into my bathroom sink. When the washer drains it backs up into the bathroom sink(suds and water). What can be done? Any suggestions would be great.
    C.S.