+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paint with Primer Combination

Does anyone with experience have an opinion about the new paints I've seen advertised recently? The ones that supposedly eliminate the need for primer?

I'd love to think that after the horrendous job of stripping wallpaper, I could just go to painting without the primer step, but I'm skeptical.

Would love some opinions/advice on this subject.

Default Re: Paint with Primer Combination

It might work, but odds are you're not going to get the desired coverage or durability with an all-in-one paint like that. An all-in-one product isn't going to have the penetrative and adhesive power of primer, nor the coverage of a good quality paint.

Primer is thin and is designed to penetrate and seal the surface of the wall. This makes the perfect base for paint to bond to.

Paint is thick and stays on the surface of the wall. If there is any dust or other pollutants on the surface, the paint cannot adhere properly and will tend to retract, something like oil on water.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for that information. Not the answer I was hoping for but of course it makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It might work, but odds are you're not going to get the desired coverage or durability with an all-in-one paint like that. An all-in-one product isn't going to have the penetrative and adhesive power of primer, nor the coverage of a good quality paint.

Primer is thin and is designed to penetrate and seal the surface of the wall. This makes the perfect base for paint to bond to.

Paint is thick and stays on the surface of the wall. If there is any dust or other pollutants on the surface, the paint cannot adhere properly and will tend to retract, something like oil on water.

Unfortunately, good quality, durable work requires a certain process. Short change that process and you compromise the quality and durability. I would recommend using a good primer such as Zinsser 123 (blue label ) and a good name brand paint such as Kelly Moore, Sherwin Williams, etc. Most of the paint at a big box store is garbage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would error on the side of caution, and use the primer. I'd say the jury remains out, and I'd wait for more data. If you've spent all that time on removing wallpaper (which I hate, there's little that worse than that!) I'd take the time to do it the tried and true way.

There are lots of "great ideas" that haven't always performed the way we desire. They sound great and may even work great in the lab. I prefer to use something with a track record.

My 2 cents and I make my living with coatings,

Unfortunately, good quality also requires more money, which is in short supply these days (or I'd be paying someone to strip my wallpaper). I agree that using primer first, and then painting, is the way to go, as you all suggest. I was hoping to hear from someone who had tried the primer/paint combination with good results.

I just can't afford those paints you suggest. I use the primer you mention, though the paint is from a big box store - Behr, and I've been happy with the results its given me in another room I used it in. I imagine I'd notice the difference using more expensive paints ... but I've been happy with Behr and will continue to use it. I can see the importance of good primer beneath it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Unfortunately, good quality, durable work requires a certain process. Short change that process and you compromise the quality and durability. I would recommend using a good primer such as Zinsser 123 (blue label ) and a good name brand paint such as Kelly Moore, Sherwin Williams, etc. Most of the paint at a big box store is garbage.

Testing - I wrote 2 replies only to have them disappear!

This one didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Sometimes when including links or images you'll get a message "must be approved by the admin". Well, that never happens, so you either have to try to work around it or save images to your hard drive then upload to the TOH server. Considering the recent spam attack we've just gone through, you can also expect more restricted posting abilities as the filters are adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
    Does anyone with experience have an opinion about the new paints I've seen advertised recently? The ones that supposedly eliminate the need for primer?

I'd love to think that after the horrendous job of stripping wallpaper, I could just go to painting without the primer step, but I'm skeptical.

Would love some opinions/advice on this subject.
    I have tried the new paints with primer and have had very good results. I used Behr, as I've had good luck with this brand over the years. I know some like to put it down because it comes from a large chain (big box as some call it) but it really is good quality product. The only problem you may have is that the walls are stain with the glue from the wall paper and shadows can show thru. if you go the primer then paint, you are doing 2 coats, if you use the paint plus primer you may get away with one coat. thhe worst that happens is you put on another coat, something you were planning to do if you went with the primer then paint advise.