+ Reply to Thread

Default Restore or Replace

I've got a fairly old house with some old, beautiful, wood floors. Currently, downstairs you can feel the air moving up through the floors. I'm pretty certain there is no such thing as a sub-floor, just the hardwood planks. Once it warms up I hope to get the carpet out and find out for certain.

What I have been debating is my method for remedying the situation. I think my options are:
    1. Pull up the old floor, lay a subfloor, and relay the old floors.

2. Lay luann over the old floor and buy a new floor.

I think 1 is more in my budget, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it.

My other issue with all this is insulation, I live in a flood zone so I 'm not sure what I should use. I wanted to lay spray foam or foam board between battens on the subfloor and lay the old floor across the subfloor, the problem here I think is a lack of ceiling space, but I suppose that's a topic for another section.

Default Re: Restore or Replace

A little more detail would be helpful..... such as do you have a basement (cellar) or crawl space under the downstairs floor?

This would be helpful understanding why there is air coming up through the floor and the need to insulate.

If there is space under the floor .... basement/cellar or crawl space ..... then insulation can be installed in the joist bays from underneath.

Your option #1 may be doable just remember to be reaaally careful pulling up the old floor. Chances are the flooring is dry and they may split or the tongues and grooves may get damaged..... so if too many get ruined you may be forced into option #2.

If you decide to do option #1 and you are successful removing the flooring then a suggestion would be to label the underside of each plank in the order removed.

Consider that the floor has been laid and certain ones have been cut to fit the room and if you return them in the same order they will fit the room perfectly.

I wanted to lay spray foam or foam board between battens on the subfloor and lay the old floor across the subfloor,
    Depending on the need to do this .... a recommendation would be to eliminate the battens and simply lay high density rigid foam sheets down covering the entire floor then cover that with plywood then the finish floor over that.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I thought I'd probably miss a lot of the details.

We have a crawlspace under the house, the house is up on 3' pilings with ply around the outsides. I know there is some insulation under the house (my dog brought me a sample) but I know most of it is gone which is likely my biggest problem. I have been told by a few people that we cannot (perhaps should not?) put bat insulation under the house because of the flood zone (which claimed the last batch).

I haven't been able to look yet but I've now been told to expect that there is a subfloor under the floor but I have my doubts, just need to get a good enough day to check. I know upstairs it is just planking.

After talking with a friend I think I may go to putting water-based radiant heating under the floor (was told you can get it to go from underneath between the joists) and I want to spray foam that. Also, since the sides of the crawlspace are plywood that has come loose (bloody dog) I have given thought to the idea of putting rigid foam on the back of the ply and securing it down to cut out the breeze below.

After talking with a friend I think I may go to putting water-based radiant heating under the floor (was told you can get it to go from underneath between the joists) and I want to spray foam that. Also, since the sides of the crawlspace are plywood that has come loose (bloody dog) I have given thought to the idea of putting rigid foam on the back of the ply and securing it down to cut out the breeze below.
    Sounds like a plan.... oh and get the dog a ball to play with.