+ Reply to Thread

Default HVAC condensation drip tube... questions!

Hey guys! I have a pretty decent HVAC unit in my house. I keep it clean, change the filters regularly, and it runs really well.

The air handler is located in the middle of the house, and there's a drain tube that goes from the drip pan, and goes down into the floor. Now, the floor is a concrete slab (no basements in South Florida). It goes into the slab, and then runs maybe 35 feet to the outside where it then drips out into a flower-bed.

About once every 8 months or so, the drain gets clogged and the pan fills up. I don't think it's any kind of scum or anything, but perhaps a lizard or something crawls in it??? I've hooked up an attachment with a ball-valve that allows me to hook up a garden hose and blow out whatever is in there. It works great.

Long story short, I'd like a more permanent solution that requires absolutely no maintenance in this area since I will be turning this home into a rental (have to move for my job).

So, it occurred to me. I have a washer/dryer right next to the air handler, which means I have a normal household drain there. Is there any reason why I can't simply hook the HVAC drip-pan directly up to the drain that my washing machine uses? The air handler is high enough off the floor that the exit pipe would be above the trap.

Is there any code against this that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!
    Todd

Default Re: HVAC condensation drip tube... questions!

To get an answer to your question you will have to search your local code, find out from your bldg dept or ask an a/c tech in your town, as code varies from state to state.

In my city it's permissible.

An alternative set up:

You can use a pump set up to bypass what you have now. This set up will carry the water to the outside via the attic.

It may or may not be allowed by code. Where I am it is.
    If you modify the condensate drain be sure their is an air gap where it drains into the house drain. You wouldn't want anything backing up into the A/C.
    The existing drain may be getting clogged up by bugs or lizards as the case may be in the cooler months when the A/C isn't running or just gunking up as they sometimes do. Some type of screen might help. There's also a chance the pipe isn't sloped enough so water pools in the pipe and grows stuff.

Most a/c condensate drains block up regularly, Something about slime and sluge , I always run clean outs on both sides of the p-trap. You must have a p-trap to over come the negative positive pressure in the duct or it will not drain. I also run a 1 1/2 drain pipe,
    Do NOT connect the washer dryer to the a/c unit it is verbotten. there is a thing called the suds zone that must be respected, if not BIG trouble. Bill