+ Reply to Thread

Angry clogged pedestal lav

All I want to do is clear a clog from my fancy Toto pedestal sink. However I can only gain access to one of the nuts holding the P-trap. The one closest to the drain pipe is impossible to get a hold of. I've tried basin wrenchs adjustable wrenchs and pliers but there is not enough room or leeway to bite the darn thing let alone actually turn a tool if I could grab it. Help!

Default Re: clogged pedestal lav

You might be able to use a strap wrench.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Before you tear the drain all apart, try removing the pop-up stopper and actuator rod and cleaning these first. Many times the clog is at the base of the pop-up where hair and facial scrubs can catch and plug things up.

Also, I'm no expert on pedestal sinks, but the ones I've seen the bowl is attached to the wall and the pedestal is little more than set in place to hide the plumbing under the sink. Look to see if the pedestal doesn't remove easily, garnering access to the plumbing.

Thanks Jack and A Spruce, Yes, first thing done was the cleaning of the stopper, second was the repeated sodium bicarb, vinegar and boiling water chaser. Also attempted strap wrench just no darn room for anything but a hand in there and mine is not strong enough to turn that nut. The lav itself has a lip that encircles 3/4 of the pedestal top so no luck in removing base. The way I've seen these lavs installed looks like they are fully assembled just short of the wall attachment, slid into place and the last nut at the wall is turned. UGGHH!

Have you tried a wet dry vac. Plug the overflow holes, put the hose down on the drain opening, pack around it with a wet rag to get a good seal and turn on the vacuum. I have found that quite effective several times.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb