+ Reply to Thread

Talking A love for Gardening....

I really love gardening, most say that I have a green thumb.... I say I have green hands. I have been working on the yard for over 7 years, its not where I want it to be yet but it's getting there. The pond area is currently under construction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010002.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	11   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010003.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	13   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010008.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	14   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010030.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	15   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010025.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	16  

Default Re: A love for Gardening....

Well what you have accomplished so far looks wonderful (and I love the flamingo - I put them up around my pool every summer!) I will post pics of my attempt at landscaping the front of our home later on........thanks for sharing your pics with us.....

Debbie T

Quote Originally Posted by Lady D View Post
    I really love gardening, most say that I have a green thumb.... I say I have green hands. I have been working on the yard for over 7 years, its not where I want it to be yet but it's getting there. The pond area is currently under construction.
    I wish my thumbs were that green. I just started landscaping after living here 2 years, and most of my current additions are placed to make mowing easier (beds around fences, etc). But since my irrigation system is plumbed into city water rather than a well, I have been planting stuff that hopefully will stand up to very little watering (after the initial flood to get them established), as the one month I turned on the irrigation system, my water bill tripled from $11 to $32! Never again. So now I try to plant hardy items that don't need lots of water.

No pics yet, as I just started a couple of months ago, but I plan on taking pics monthly to see the progression. And I do plan on a small pond (only 150 gal), once I figure out the proper mix of water plants and beasties for my area.
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

It looks gorgeous. We are just getting started, after owning our home for only 2 years... Nice to see what we can look forward to. I want to put a fence, but was worried about how it looks. Thanks for pics of the fence. It looks good, kind of gives a backdrop for more plants.

We have lived in our house for 32 years now and when the children were little we had a grassy back yard with a white picket fence and a few shrubs. In 1993 our second child graduated from uni and was then married in our back garden. We had started the transformation just for her.

We have a long T-shaped terrace with the T-bar up against the house. When we first laid down paths we were told to make them straight to where you wanted to go otherwise shortcuts will appear so we have two straight paths off it to the vegetable garden but other paths are angular and meander. 14 years later it is a paradise. We have NO LAWN. Just paths and huge beds of shrubs and perennials.

My grandchildren love it. You can disappear down a path and cannot see where you will end up. All of this on a city lot. I became a Master Gardener in 1998 and have also included many, many native pants in the garden. I'll include some photos shortly.

Last edited by cathairetic; 06-06-2007 at 12:04 PM.

***, look at those rhodedenrons... i love the kitty part. it's gorgeous. we are just now working on growing gass over an old flowerbed that we ripped out... maybe grass isn't everything after all.