+ Reply to Thread

Default Care and use of Saws and Saw Blades

Greetings,

On an older episode of ATOH, Tom Silva was discussing the care and use of saws and saw blades. He suggested wiping a substance on the saws and blades and for the life of me I cannot remember what he said that substance was. I thought it was some type of oil or something to make the blades glide through the wood. (Beside being sharp that is).

Thanks

Larry Kotur

Default Re: Care and use of Saws and Saw Blades

I am unaware of that particular episode, however, through the normal use of a saw it can become gummed with pitch and resins, which unless removed can cause burning. Simply removing the blade from the implement and spraying it down with oven cleaner will remove the gum and allow for trouble free usage of the blade. This is primarily in conjunction with woodshop equipment, however circular saw blades can succumb to the same gum.

If I remember correctly he used furnature wax, just like a lot of people use on their table saws. Make sure its not a car wax which is water based. He did the blade and the soul plate.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Simply removing the blade from the implement and spraying it down with oven cleaner will remove the gum and allow for trouble free usage of the blade.
    I'm calling Al Gore!!!

That oven cleaner stuff is not environmentally friendly!! Simple Green and a toothbrush will clean up a saw blade! Although I would encourage you to get an extra toothbrush since the Simple Green residue tastes funny.

Algorithm - Formula used by science.

AlGore-Ithm - Formula used by science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    That oven cleaner stuff is not environmentally friendly!! Simple Green and a toothbrush will clean up a saw blade! Although I would encourage you to get an extra toothbrush since the Simple Green residue tastes funny.
    Maybe not, but it works great! I hear what you're saying, though, and I personally use products like this very sparingly.

And about that funny taste - that's why you use someone elses toothbrush ...

If you think Simple Green tastes bad, what till you get a taste of the oven cleaner.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    If you think Simple Green tastes bad, what till you get a taste of the oven cleaner.
    Jack
    I tried that once, but lost the bristles on my toothbrush!