+ Reply to Thread

Default Curse of the 70's - My doors have been cut 2" above the hardwood floors

We recently moved from Dublin, Ireland to San Francisco and bought a house built in 1951. At some point, the bedrooms must have had really think shag carpeting, as the doors seem to have been cut about 2" above the floor. With small children who are asleep by 7:00 PM, noise is an issue.

I think a 1.5" threshhold would look dodgy and could trip up running children, so my options seem to be 1) getting new doors, or 2) making the existing doors longer. They are 4 matching solid wood four-panel doors, but they are all different widths.

Does anyone have any advice on options I'm not considering? If making the doors longer is the way to go, how should I proceed? I'm reasonably handy and have been thinking about investing in a table saw...

Default Re: Curse of the 70's - My doors have been cut 2" above the hardwood floors

Adding 2" to the bottom of the door is pretty simple the problem usually lies in blending it in if the doors are a natural wood finish but no problem if the doors are painted.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Curse of the 70's - My doors have been cut 2" above the hardwood floors

keep in mind in some houses for the heating and cooling the door is approx 2 inches above the floor for air return for the unit. and if you close off that space you could be restricting your air flow