+ Reply to Thread

Default Bleeding Hot Water Radiators

Hi--long time no post, huh?

Well, I have been working on my hot-water system, and have discovered I need a special "key" in which to releave the vents on the radiators--they all need to have the air bled out of them before this system will be completely operational.

Neighbor says it looks like an old skate key. Any idea of how/where I may locate one of these elusive beasts? I'd prefer to get one that's not as anchient as the house--they do tend to get a bit brittle with age...just like me!

Happy New Year and hopefully let's have some major prosperity out there, okay?

Cheers,
    Moon

Default Re: Bleeding Hot Water Radiators

Hi Moon, good to hear from you.

There's an outside chance they'll have the bleed key at Lowe's/HD in their heating supply dept.

otherwise you'll have to stop in at one of the local heating supply houses in your area; they will definitely have it.

30 years ago when I had hot water heat, I had a clock wind up key that fit.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

we have old house with old system hot water radiators each one has two pipes. sometimes later it was changed to closet system with pump. my husband did the repair of some leaking pipes that bursted and we had troubles we had different manual air vents on radiators and no keys either becuase it was a repo when we bougt it in auction. we didn't even get keys to the doors!

after pipes replaced, still not good heat and what we thought was air problems but turned out not. first boiler tech said we needed new recirculator pump but he installed it backwards! that was first. when we finally 2 days later got a good older tech in he fixed that made it go away form the tank and said now we needed a new spirovent air sepaerator and new expanding tank.the older tech said we did not ever have to bleed air from our system again unless work was done if it was filled correct which he did and he bleeded the vents himself. he told us to file down a regular screw driver bladed flat like he showed us he did and use it not to waste money on finding a special key.

Yeah, everyone here is telling me to dump this system and upgrade to a F/A, but to tell you the truth, F/A heat makes me ill (I get too warm and it's not a good kind of warm), plus the duct work takes up SO STINKING MUCH ROOM in the basement--the pipes are easily dealt with--still have head room, you know?

I'd also end up gutting the walls to get ducts up to the second story, unless I do like a friend of mine and get TWO units--one for the basement and one for the attic, but then I'd lose the entire attic. What to do what to do!?

I think the radiators are very pretty, anyway. The **** one in the big upstairs bath matches the clawfoot tub.

I'll try Lowe's but I'm not very hopeful. They've yet to have anything I need for this place--I usually have to go to some specialty place. This furnace is only 20 years old--still has a lot of life left in it. I can probably make a small fortune on selling all this pipe for scrap though! (NOT my radiators!).

Nobody's suggesting that you change to FA. My heating system changed because I moved. Personally I liked the hot water heat. The only disadvantage is no duct work for central air.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Sorry--I didn't mean "everyone HERE" I meant everyone here (as in, my location/neighborhood, etc)!

Hey, did Dwarf really get tossed? Oooooh. Wonder how THAT happened?

So, after helping my buddy put in a new hot water heater, I decided I was going to hit this whole furnace thing today and get it done.

I had purchased a new reducer valve, and had constructed the flue and was counting how many bricks I would need to enclose the flue pipe in the chimney, when "something" caught my eye....this pipe is about 12 inches from where I have been working ALL DAY LONG and gee, how could all of us have missed it the gahzillion or so times we've been down there looking at the furnace?????

This Y pipe is the feed for the living room, dining room and entire upstairs of my house. They did not put control valves in the system line anywhere so this area could be isolated. What this means is, Moon is once again, living in a house that will never have an operating furnace unless I put the dang-blasted thing in myself.

Needless to say, I took back the reducer valve and bought lots of beer. I have a guy coming over tomorrow to take out all the pipe and scrap it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oops.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	534  

Hey, did Dwarf really get tossed? Oooooh. Wonder how THAT happened?
    Oh yes .... hmmmm ... how did that happen?

Needless to say, I took back the reducer valve and bought lots of beer.
    Hey Moon .... that's what old house are all about.... mmmm... beer.