+ Reply to Thread

Default 70's sliding closet doors can I add rim

Those 70's plain sliding doors need some help Any ideas to make them more attrative or what can I replace them with. Not sure I like the bifold doors Can I add think molding to them?

Default Re: 70's sliding closet doors can I add rim

Veneer maybe, thin molding not likely. The molding would have to be thiner than the track separator or else it would rub on the other door. You could cut openings in the doors and add raised or louvered panels.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 01-06-2008 at 03:17 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

JLMcDaniel is right about using the moulding. It's the easiest solution though. You could get something like a half-round or screen mould and make rectangles on the doors. You're held in check by the space between the two doors as they pass by each other on the track. That distance is your work space.

The next best solution would be to take them off the track. If they are a 1-3/8inch door, you could buy new six-panel doors of the same thickness and install the old hardware on the top of the new doors. Those doors aren't outrageously expensive.

Check the thickness and width of the old doors and then take a trip down to Home Depot and see what they have on the rack. You may have to cut the bottom of the new doors off by a little, depending on the height of the door opening. Just measure the old doors for an idea.

Good Luck.

If it is solid door, maybe you can use router to add decorative trim.

FYI...My grandparent's house has solid sliding door. My grandfather built his house in the late 60's and early 70's. Don't ask where or how he got the solid sliding door.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.