+ Reply to Thread

Default removing old tile-backsplash

I started removing old ceramic tiles from my backsplash and with a lot less damage to the sheetrock than I oringinally thought (so this is good).... the only real "damage" is a real thin layer of the paper on the sheetrock came off with the tiles. Is there any reason for me to be concerned that the mastic I use to adhere my new tiles will not adhere properly to the wallboard now that it's missing that thin layer of paper?

Default Re: removing old tile-backsplash

get some baged drywall mud like setfast 90 and mix it up and skim it over the damaged sheetrock and then do your tile as normal, if you don't skim it, it may not adhear well because of the loose particles could come loose causing the mastic to fail

i have problem but wall is plaster and the tile is on thick cement or plaster on the floor to under is old wood boards not plywood. how to remove without ruin the paster and wood? a sc****r does nothing. if i hit with hammer then the plaster above brakes or cracks!

Havanagranite- will the typically used sheetrock joint compound suffice as a skim coat for the drywall?

pre mix mud won't stick very well to drywall that has had the paper ripped off. the bag mud will stick and dry harder.